In this article:
To get your G2 license in Ontario, you’ll need to pass the G2 road test, otherwise known as the G1 exit test.
As the second step in Ontario’s graduated licensing program, the G2 license allows individuals to drive by themselves (with some restrictions). However, figuring out how to book your road test can be confusing, so we’ve put together a step-by-step guide to booking your G2 road test in Ontario. For information on all three license classes and their restrictions, check out this comprehensive step-by-step guide on getting your G1, G2 and G licenses in Ontario.
Before booking your G2 test
Here’s what you’ll need to do before you can book the G2 license road test:
- Get your G1 license. You’ll need to be over 16 and pass the G1 written knowledge test, which you’ll need to take in person at a DriveTest location. Note that this is walk-in only as DriveTest does not take appointments for the G1 written test. The G1 allows you to practice driving for one year before booking your G2 road test.
- Practice driving for 12 months. Alternatively, you can complete an MTO-approved driver’s ed course to book the road test in 8 months instead of 12. While you’re getting experience behind the wheel, here are some tips to increase your chances of being ready for the G2. Completing an approved beginner driver’s education (BDE) course could also get you a 10-20% discount on your auto insurance. Explore MTO-approved driver’s ed course options with Kruzee.
Booking the G2 road test
You can book a G2 road test online, by phone, or at any DriveTest Centre. To book, you’ll need your G1 license, your preferred DriveTest Centre location (and two backup locations), the date and time you want to take the test, and a credit or debit card to pay for the test. The road test costs $53.75, plus $90.00 for a five-year license (you could learn more about licensing fees on DriveTest’s website). Here are the key steps you’ll need to follow to book your G2 test:
- Find a DriveTest centre. If you’re looking to take your test in the GTA, you have several options:
- For those looking to book a G2 test near Toronto, you can book G2 road tests at Toronto Metro East, Toronto Downsview, or Toronto Etobicoke.
- If you’re looking to book a G2 road test in Mississauga, you can visit 255 Longside Boulevard or the temporary location at 1170 Burnhamthorpe Road West.
- For those looking to book their test in Brampton, you’ll want to select the 59 Gulf Boulevard location.
- If you’re looking to book a road test in Scarborough, Toronto Metro East or Toronto Port Union are the closest DriveTest locations.
- Finally, if you’re hoping to take your test outside of the GTA, you can find the full list of DriveTest Centres near you at drivetest.ca. You should also take a look at G2 pass and fail rates across DriveTest centres in Ontario.
- Book your road test.
- Book online. You can book a G2 road test online at drivetest.ca. Booking should take 5 minutes or less. You’ll be asked for your G1 license number and expiration date and can choose the date, time, and location.
- Book by phone. To book your G2 driving test by phone you can call 647-776-0331 or 1-888-570-6110. Booking by phone should take roughly 5-10 minutes.
- Book at a DriveTest Centre. You can also book your G2 test in person at your nearest DriveTest Centre. Queues at DriveTest centres can be quite long, so we’d recommend trying to book online or over the phone before trying to book with your nearest DriveTest centre in person.
Road test cancellations
To cancel your road test, you can cancel in the same way you booked — online, by phone, or at a DriveTest centre. To avoid a fee for cancelling, be sure to cancel at least 48 hours before your appointment slot.
Getting your G2 license faster
You can get your license 4 months sooner if you take an MTO-approved beginner driver’s education (BDE) course. Normally, drivers with a G1 license are eligible to take the G2 road test one year after getting their G1 license. However, if you take a government-approved driver’s education course you can get your license after just 8 months. Learn more about the benefits of taking an MTO-certified beginner driver’s education (BDE) course.
Kruzee offers MTO-approved BDE courses across the province. Learn more about booking a lesson or course here.
Want to learn more?